Thursday, January 14, 2010

HopSlam Release in Northern Liberties


On Monday I succumb to the hop hype and made my way to Northern Liberties to experience the release of Bell's HopSlam. In the past I have been known to chase a beer or two to multiple locations around the city. Russian River beers tend to make me do strange things. However, it's been awhile since my hop cravings have taken me on a journey. Most recently I've been riding a stout, porter and barrel aged wave so the time was right to switch it up and track down a serious Double IPA.

I hit the Swift Half Pub for the first of two nightly stops. Not bad planning for my first trip to the pub. Like so many places that opened last year I swore I'd make it in ASAP then days turned to weeks, weeks to months and so on. On this night the action was definitely at the bar. I managed to slide into a seat near a freshly tapped firkin of Bell's Cherry Stout. Somehow, I resisted the gravitational pull of the firkin and stayed on course for the beer that brought me in. Good choice since unbeknownst to me along with the first Slam of the season came free h'ordeuvres. A little zesty cheesy accompaniment to the hop bomb. If they're a good indicator of the food served at the Swift Half I'm definitely returning when I have time to totally explore the menu. After a good 20 minutes of savoring my first pour (the verdict coming) I settled up and headed out on foot to North Bowl.


North Bowl is possibly the perfect recreational spot in the city. The combination of awesome bar grub, moderate prices, a too cool retro atmosphere, good beer and bowling makes for a great night out. I arrived well before the Bell's event started, got a seat at the bar and dove into a menu. The Chicken Cuban Sandwich with a side of tots spoke to me and satisfied a serious craving. I'm not the best at pairing food and beer but a bite of the spicy, loaded chicken followed by the crisp hoppy Brooklyn Lager created a heavenly taste experience.

Once the Bell's went on I ordered a HopSlam (obviously) along with Bell's new draft Oarsman, a Berliner Weisse. The Oarsman was a nice surprise. It had a refreshing, crisp, lemon tartness. The kind of beer that works well around a pool on a sweltering summer day. I'll make sure to explore the Berliner stlyle more thoroughly when my tongue isn't being abused.

I briefly spoke with Bell's rep Derek Zomonski who had some great words about the Philly market. If we are lucky this guy will make it back to the area more often. Judging from the remarks overheard around the bar all the Bell's drafts were well received. There is nothing like visiting a city to support your beer and hearing good words. All the more reason to return.

Overall my beer chasing evening in Northern Liberties was a success. I spent time in one of my favorite areas in Philly, satisfied a serious need for liquid hops and checked a bar off my need-to-visit list. My only regret is I wish time would of allowed for a stop at Standard Tap. Being so close and not going in is a sin.

The HopSlam Verdict

Hops, hops, hops is what you want. Hops, hops, hops is what you get. I swear I could smell this beer before it was placed in front of me. Just an overactive imagination but the aroma is a mondo bouquet of fruity/citrus hops. As I've said I could spend all day smelling this beer. Hey why just smell when you can taste? It's sweet upfront with strong grapefruit and orange flavors. From there it quickly slides to the piney bitter side. If you're able to resist the urge to drink it quickly you're rewarded with an even bigger flavor bomb as it warms. The mystery of this beer is the 10% abv. Where the hell is it? The 10% hides nicely and is the only thing that stopped me from having several. This year's HopSlam is very good. It doesn't overthrow Pliny the Younger or Elder in my hop utopia but it is a true WOW beer for hop fanatics. Seek it out.

No comments: