Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Papier for the New Year


As January rolls to a close someone asked me what beer I had to kick off 2010? I've never made it a point to start the new year with a particular beer. Typically on Dec 31st at 11:59 I'm tossing back something good but ask me a month later what it was and I'll have no idea. However this year since I knew I wasn't doing the usual suburban couch surfing for New Years Eve I went to the cellar for something out of the ordinary.

Kelleigh and I spent the early part of the evening having dinner in Center City then headed off to the party. A huge thanks to Adelle and Ed for the invite. Since Ed has managed to surprise me with several great bottles I figured it was only fair to return the favor. Along with a sixer of Racer 5 I unveiled a bottle of The Bruery's Papier.

At the strike of midnight we clanked glasses of champagne with everyone then quickly switched from the bubbly grape to the bourbon aged old ale. According to the label this version of Papier is a blending of 75% Oak Aged Old Ale and 25% ale aged in bourbon barrels and has an abv of 14.5%. For such a big beer brandy snifters were appropriate however we made do with larger glasses.

With very little carbonation Papier's appearance was more liquor than beer. What head existed at the start quickly faded. A swirl of the glass brought out sweet aromas of figs, raisins and lots of bourbon. It reminded me somewhat of a port. The shock came with the taste. Along with the sweet maltiness, big raisin flavor and oak came an odd vinegar like sourness that stood out from the other flavors. Although the vinegar surprise wasn't enough to completely spoil the enjoyment it did lessen the appeal. Luckily, the sourness became less noticeable as the beer warmed. Although the 14.5% may of had a lot to do with forgetting about the odd flavor. I only wish the bourbon and oak had been what I remembered most about this beer.

The lack of carbonation, slightly off putting sourness and a hefty price tag are a few of the reasons why some will knock this beer. I found it interesting and decent for the style. However it's not a bottle I plan to invest in again. As for a way to bring in 2010 the Racer 5 and Live Free or Die we had later were a better way to celebrate the New Year.

No comments: