Saturday, September 5, 2009

Furthermore Knot Stock


I am a spice fanatic. Garlic, curry, saffron, thyme, cilantro, coriander, basil, sage and so on and so on. Out of my kingdom of spices I use peppercorns the most. I've managed to destroy several grinders through the years with everyday use. Along with peppering just about everything, I cook with a variety chilies and even have a dedicate hot sauce cabinet. If my food lacks great flavor I don't want it. I tend to follow the same rule with my beer. I think that's why I fall so hard for beers that are highly hopped, smoked and super sour. That's why when searching the shelves of Capone's for something a little different Knot Stock spoke to my spicy side.

Knot Stock is a black pepper infused APA brewed by Furthermore Brewing in Spring Green Wisconsin. In their own words it's, "Black, cracked, stuffed in a sack, boiled and cold-infused".

Caution, if you fear the peppercorn then this beer most likely won't work for you. If you do embrace pepper goodness then prepare a pint glass. Black pepper pops out quick and soon masks the faint caramel malt aroma. Even though the pepper is also upfront in the taste it's not unpleasant. Some sweet, breadiness along with a hop bite towards the end keep it from becoming a peppery beast. Knot Stock definitely has the biggest black pepper presence I've tasted in a beer.

As I sipped I kept thinking of all the foods that would work well with this beer. The idea of having a rare steak from the grill, blacked fish or spicy jambalaya accompanied by a pint of Knot Stock are what my peppery dreams are made of. I did get the chance to have it with a black pepper encrusted turkey breast and it paired perfectly. Now I am thinking of adding some tomato juice and a few shots of Red Hot for a twist on the classic Bloody Mary. I'll let you know how the experiment goes.

No comments: