Thursday, April 10, 2008

No Beer for for Me


It has been weeks since I have posted and I will blame that on the fact that I have not had a beer in 3 weeks. I know that is a horrific statement but it is true. The reason for my lack of consumption is the low carb lifestyle. I have been swept up in a challenge to drop 15lbs (or more) before our wedding in May. At this point just looking at a beer makes my mouth water. People have already told me about diets where they enjoyed a beer occasionally but I have had great success in the past with the low carb structure and combined with working out 4 days a week the fat is melting away. With that in mind I still question sticking to it. Failing at anything or giving in isn't what I enjoy and I am having success, down 6lbs, but I miss sitting down and enjoying a pint. To make it even more difficult the hockey playoffs have started and watching the games with a glass of diet Coke lacks something. I hate to admit it but I have, in a moment of weakness, gone over to the dark side ( actually the light side). I had a low carb beer. Say it ain't so. My head hangs in shame. It wasn't worth it. The Miller Lite and IC Light only confirmed how far from real beer they really are. Those pale watery beers with only an essence of beer flavor only increased my craving for the good stuff. There is no satisfaction in low budget beer. The truly odd occurrence in my habits since turning off carbs is how much beer I buy. Since turning off the suds I have increased my beer purchases. Self analysis leads me to believe that since I can't drink it I derive comfort from purchasing beer and knowing I will have it for later.

The fridge is more packed than ever. The problem is since I am not drinking it, beer isn't leaving the fridge and space is now at a premium. I have managed to max out The Beer Fridge. I can already hear everyone saying, "Poor baby a fridge full of great beer waiting to be consumed. How can you stand to go on?". I have already had several offers to help reduce the beer stock , but I already know that this isn't a permanent situation. Looking into the very near future it's easy to see the end is near. My bachelor party is in 2 weeks and of course the wedding is the second week of May. The thought of an evening of food, friends, strippers and no beer just seems silly. The other reason to toss back a pint is at the wedding reception we are having Dogfish 90 Minute and Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse. The masses will toss back Miller Lite and Yuengling, but a select few will sip a cellared Hair of the Dog Fred (big bottle). I guess it wont be long until The Beer Fridge has a little more space.

No comments: