Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Prelude to Beer Week












Philly Beer Week is finally here. I have been looking at this week on the calendar for almost a year. Ever since I first heard the announcement last year at the Michael Jackson Tutored Tasting at the U of Penn I’ve been waiting with anticipation. Unfortunately to celebrate this wonderful week I proceeded to get a cold that knocked me off my feet for the weekend. However I did manage to get to the Meet the Brewer event at the South Philadelphia Taproom on Thursday and on Monday I snuck in for a late lunch at Capone’s to sample from a fantastic beer line up. It figures that my first visit to the South Philadelphia Tap room happened once I had moved out of the city. This warm corner bar located at Mifflin and S. Hicks street hosted a Meet the Brewer event with Founders Brewing. Actually the head brewer wasn’t there but cofounder Dave Engbers made the trip from Michigan to support his beers. Dave and a representative from Stockertown Beverage made the rounds meeting patrons and discussing the beers being poured. I was lucky enough to get the chance to talk with Dave for a few minutes. We discussed his trip that took him from Michigan through Pittsburgh on his way to Philly. During the stop in Pittsburgh he went to one of western Pa’s best bars, Fat Heads. The Southside bar has over 30 taps and a mix and match bottle shop making it a must stop for any beer fanatic who makes it to the other end of the state. We then discussed the new facility and distribution in Pennsylvania. From the sound of it the Philadelphia area is a big part of the expanding distribution range for Founders. So look forward to even more from the Michigan brewer. The line up of beers for the event was very impressive. Samples included Dirty Bastard, Centennial IPA, Red’s Rye, Devil Dancer, Rubaeus, Curmudgeon, Blushing Monk and Pale Ale. From the beers that I tasted the three standouts were Devil Dancer, Curmudgeon and Blushing monk. The Blushing Monk especially grabbed my attention. It was the first time I had the fruit beer and it impressed from the first pour. The color was a deep cloudy red and the small head quickly dissipated. The aroma was of fresh raspberry juice. The taste starts off as sweet raspberry then slowly slides to tart with a slight citrusy finish. The 12.3% ABV is very well hidden and although sweet it’s not cloying. This beer is a great sipper.



Having survived the Founders event on Thursday night what better way to celebrate Beer Week and take care of a cold than to spend the late afternoon at Capone’s eating a late lunch and tasting beer from the expanded tap list. How’s this for beers to choose from?

2006 Thomas Hooker Barrel-Aged Porter
2006 Dogfish Head World Wide Stout
Bell's Hop Slam
Old Rasputin (Nitro)
Climax 10th Anniversary
Stoudt's Birthday (rare)
Flying Fish Apple Jack Brandy Beer (aged in Apple Jack brandy barrels)
Rogue Double Dead Guy (Locker Stock)
Lucifer
Stone Double Bastard
Founder's Devil Dancer
Allagash Musette Dry Hopped
Breckenridge 471 Double IPA
Allagash Curieux.

As I always do when confronted with so many beers I have never tried I ordered a sampler. My four choices were Musette, Double Dead Guy, Apple Jack and Thomas Hooker. The World Wide was not available for sample. Unfortunately my cold affected the taste of everything. There is nothing worse than having good food and drink and not being able to appreciate all the flavors. Since Capone’s is doing the list, while it lasts, for beer week I plan on getting back once my head clears. I have only touched on a small part of what Beer Week is about. While I recover from my sickness make sure to get out there and support your favorite bars, brewers and breweries and enjoy all there is to enjoy.

No comments: