Friday, December 21, 2007

Quick Brewery/ Brewpub Update

I stopped by the Dock Street Brewery and Restaurant at 50th and Baltimore Ave on Thursday after work. I hadn't been in for months and wanted to see what was new on tap. Now that it's winter my taste buds crave anything malty and toasty with a little oak mixed in. I just can't get enough of the winter warmer style. Dock Street did not disappoint. I started with the Barley Wine and WOW this is a good one. It's not too sweet on the tongue like so many barley wines are. The lack of sticky sweetness along with a medium mouth feel makes it very drinkable. The taste is of caramel, dark fruit and mild oak. It all finishes with a warm alcohol kick. Respect this one it comes with an ABV of 10.5%. I also had the Cuckoo's Nest Red which is a nice malty red ale. I wanted to try the Golden Stock Ale which is described as, a blonde ale with soft malts, aromatic hops and oak notes, but time and the fact that I had to drive home didn't allow it. Other offerings on tap are Kolsch, Rye IPA and Imperial Oatmeal Stout.

Openings and closings.

John Harvard's in Wayne is down and out. It seems that the company is doing serious down sizing. Earth Bread and Brewery will rise in the Mt. Airy section of Philly sometime near the end of March 08. The owners are Tom Baker and Peggy Zwerver the former owners of the defunct Heavyweight Brewery. A little further from Philly, actually a lot further from Philly, Elk Creek Cafe and Ale Works has opened in Millheim PA. Finally, One Guy Brewing in Berwick should open in the next few weeks.

No comments: