Friday, April 23, 2010

We Want the Funk

When it comes to beer I tend to lean more towards the extreme than the subtile.  A well made pils is ok but give me a tongue lashing DIPA, a Stout aged in bourbon barrels or a rauchbier that is the equivalent of bacon in a glass and I am in heaven.  Within the past few years I have also become a lover of the funk.  Those barnyard smelling, Brett dominated, bacteria (Pediococcus, Lactobacillus, etc) laden sour beers that have the ability to create twisted facial expressions on the recently initiated.  A big part of Belgian brewing for eons sours have been gaining in popularity in the US.  Since the craft beer masses seem to always want an extreme fix it figures that sours would have their big day. Breweries such as Russian River and Jolly Pumpkin are fully invested in the sour styles. Fortunately it looks like it's no gimmicky, flash in the pan trend. 

If you are sour curious or, like me, already love the funky stuff  then journey to Triumph Brewing in Old City on Sunday for Funk Fest 2. Many local breweries are bringing out their sour best. It's a great way to test your tolerance for all things funky. April 25th, 12-8pm, PAYG

Some P Funk for your freaky soul.

1 comment:

Good Burp said...

Brian, a perfect post. Now I know what to get you. I'm sure you will enjoy it. I know I did.