Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Good Dog(fish)

Lots of happenings going on at this end and most of them have nothing to do with beer. The biggest and most enjoyable life twist is the addition of the fur ball pictured above. Murphy is our 12 week old black Labrador Retriever that became part of the family this past Saturday. I've wanted a dog for years and patiently waited until Kelleigh and I had a place with a substantial yard and a decent amount of indoor space. Now that we are with canine it means my days start a little earlier, the so called extra time in my schedule is dedicated to training and I continue to find creative ways to keep a 15 lb cat from filleting the dog. It all means I've missed a few beer events but it's more than worth it to hang with the little guy.

Since I haven't been out for a beer recently I decided to pull a bottle from The Beer Fridge to toast our new addition. Dogfish Head Punkin' Ale seemed an appropriate choice. He's a dog, at this point a bit of a punk, albeit a sweet punk, and it is pumpkin season. Ok, it's a stretch. Sure a bottle of Spanish Peaks Black Dog Ale would of been more fitting but I can only work with what I have. Besides I am still riding a pumpkin beer high that isn't fading anytime soon.

Dogfish Punkin' Ale has always been one of my favorites. Years ago when I first started drinking pumpkin beer it was my first. No wonder it holds a special place in my ale filled heart. A good pumpkin flavor leans this beer in the direction of pie-in-a-glass but doesn't over do it with in your face spice and over the top sweetness. You know you are drinking a beer not a pumpkin soda. The hop bitterness balances out the sweet and a touch of alcohol towards the end does nothing to prevent a smooth finish.

Here's to ya Murphy!!!

2 comments:

Good Burp said...

Congratulations on the new little one. Murphy is a great name. But I think "Sam" would have been a perfect name.

Brian P said...

I am sure Mr. Calagione would agree with you.