Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Im Feelin' Younger


I haven't been one of the lucky ones who has had the chance to taste the latest batch of liquid gold sent from Russian River. Just like Pliny the Elder, the rare Pliny the Younger has taken Philadelphia by storm and hop fanatics, BAers and craft beer lusters have gone to tracking down and consuming the Imperial Ale as soon as it pours. Pliny the Younger, Pliny the Elder, Consecration and other Russian River favorites are so sought after that most places putting them on draft make sure to spread the word, turning their tappings into events. Events, of late, that I've unfortunately missed

During the final Sunday of Philly Beer Week a brunch at Local 44 was a Russian River love fest. Pliny the Elder and Younger, Blind Pig IPA, Consecration, Damnation, and Salvation were all scheduled to pour. I was in Pittsburgh. Somehow I also managed let Younger sneak by at Memphis Taproom. It happened again last Saturday when TJ's got it's R.R. groove on along with some KBS from Founders. I spent the afternoon working. However at least I was able to catch some details about the day here. I am sure there are a couple more places I am forgetting but it's obvious I've dropped the ball more than once. Now with the weekend fast approaching I have my eyes set on Capone's for a bit of Younger on a Sunday morning. I won't miss it this time. I do have to admit that I am probably more interested in the Consecration (very appropriate for a Sunday) than the Younger. My sour urge is still dominating my hop side and I can't seem to get off the barrel aged beer high. Truly I'm just glad to have another chance at both.

So is it worth all the searching, running around and hop hype. Sure, Younger is a great beer. Is it the end all, be all of hops, water, malt and yeast? Probably not, there are just too many great beers of various styles for me to say one is the best (that also goes for Westy 12). Is Vinnie Cilurzo a brewing rock star? Yeah, who in the Brett Pack isn't? Will I get out of bed early Sunday, jump in the car, drive to Capone's and wait for Matt to open the doors? You know it. Don't laugh I know some of you will be right there with me in the parking lot, frothing at the mouth and staring at your watch until it's go time. Just embrace the hype and enjoy it along with the beer.

Capone's
Next Draft Beer promo: Will be Sunday March 29th. Open at 10am. Beers will be Pliny the Elder, Pliny the Younger, Consecration & more !

1 Year Late Grand Opening. April 1st, 7:00pm. Pliny the Younger plus beers from Dogfish, Founders, Boulder and others.

Russian River Brunch. 6 R.R. on draft Blind Pig, Pliny Younger and Elder, Consecration, Damnation and Salvation. 11am April 5th.

Easter Hopfest April 11th, 1:00pm Younger and Elder plus about 13 other hop heavy beers.

Hop Fest 5, April 25th, 12pm, Exton. Russian River is on the list. Younger, Elder or other ???

No comments: