Monday, June 9, 2008

Napa for Beer?

We arrived in the town of Napa in the early evening after spending most of the day in Healdsberg (see last post). By the time we checked into the hotel and got settled Kelleigh was in no mood to go out. However my energy level was still fairly high so I took off for downtown. Luck was on my side or it may of been my navigation system either way I found Downtown Joe's American Grill and Brewhouse with no problem. Located at the corner of Main and Second in downtown Napa the place is hard to miss. Walking in I grabbed a seat at the bar, scanned the beer list and started with the Tantric IPA. No matter what the season or the weather I can't break my desire for hops. The beer was good but what made it even better was watching the NHL playoffs. Who would guess I'd be watching the Pittsburgh Penguins smack around the Philadelphia Flyers in the Eastern Conference Finals while enjoying a beer in a Napa brewery? Life is good. Sorry Flyer fans but my heart is with my hometown team. The Penguins win was fantastic but what made this place great that night were the people. It's one of those places where there is a mix of locals and tourists but it feels like you are drinking with friends because the conversation is so free flowing. I discussed beer, marriage, scotch, traveling and sales with a regional sales manager from San Diego and a local biker. The conversation took place over a pint of Ace High Pale Ale followed by the Golden Thistle Very Bitter Ale. Hops were definitely ruling the night. Overall the beer was slightly above average. To my surprise the Golden Thistle stood out. The bitterness in the finish is what made this beer memorable. Not overly abrasive but enough bitterness to put a good bite on the tongue. After I finished my third beer I left the conversation and headed back to the hotel for the night with more knowledge on scotch and marriage than when I walked in. Overall Downtown Joe's was a decent beer oasis in a town built on the grape.

More Napa to Follow.












No comments: